The Staten Island Foundation seeks a community that offers a wide range of strong supports and opportunities that help residents, especially our youth, reach their full potential, for all to make a positive contribution. For some residents, that may mean connecting to specific community services in times of crisis. For others, in communities that are the least advantaged, it may be necessary to connect to a network of services to address the multiple impacts of poverty, while other Staten Islanders find their lives enriched by community services that provide them opportunities to help those in need. All of these aspects of community services contribute to a vibrant community in which to live and work.
Foundation support has contributed to efforts to reduce the impacts on the COVID-19 pandemic and other emergency needs. Funding has been provided to address affordable housing, domestic violence, and child abuse prevention. The Foundation has supported city-wide service organizations to help build the capacity of local organizations. Am important area of concentration is to assist Staten Islanders who are un-or-underemployed to connect to trainings and employment opportunities.
Grant applicants with a Community Services focus will identify one of the Foundation’s target outcomes below and develop an anticipated results statement that aligns with one of the following:
- Improvements in community service organizations’ effectiveness and efficiency that lead to improved results for those they serve.
- Increases in the availability and use of social services to stabilize the lives of at-risk individuals and families.
- Increases in the number of individuals and families experiencing poverty that get their basic needs met (food, clothing, shelter) and connect to other needed resources.
- Increases in the number of residents that volunteer their time and experience to better the community.
- Increases in the number of residents, particularly youth, that demonstrate their leadership skills in the community, at home, school, or in the workplace.
- Increases in the number of Staten Island residents getting and keeping jobs at a level that meets their employment goals.